About the work
A musical ritual for our age
Johann Sebastian Bach created the ‹St Matthew Passion› as a musical ritual for the faithful of his age. Accounts of suffering, death and resurrection are among the foundations upon which European
culture is based. But what does the Passion mean for a diverse society
in which Christianity is increasingly losing relevance? At the centre of Benedikt von Peter’s production is a group of children who re-enact the Passion. Orchestra, singers, choirs and audience come together as one large congregation. Singing societies from Basel and the surrounding districts have been invited to support the Theater Basel Choir, and the audience is also invited to sing along.
A coproduction with Deutsche Oper Berlin.
Dates & tickets
- Evangelist – Robin Tritschler
- Jesus – André Morsch
- Sopran / 1. Magd – Álfheiður Erla Guðmundsdóttir
- Alt / Eine falsche Zeugin / 2. Magd – Beth Taylor (25.03. / 27.03. / 03.04. / 09.04. / 12.04. / 13.04. / 19.04. / 25.04. / 07.05. / 10.05. / 22.05. / 26.05. / 28.05. / 13.06. / 26.06.) / Jasmin Etezadzadeh
- Bass – José Coca Loza
- Pilatus / Pontifex I – Jasin Rammal-Rykała
- Extrachor des Theater Basel
- Mädchenkantorei Basel
- Knabenkantorei Basel